Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pertussis and vaccines

Ok, so we all have heard the horror stories of "way back when" when there were babies dying daily from whooping cough, just like they did from measles, chicken pox, the flu, polio, ect. But we all think we live in this cushioned modern world with vaccines and the such that have erradicated these things, but they aren't really gone. The diseases are still there, waiting for parents that choose not to vaccinAte their children. I will not argue that you have the right to not vaccinate your child, that is your choice and the results of this choice are between you and God. But I will say that children and adults ARE getting pertussis, Thats the fancy name for whooping cough, and that babies and children are suffocating to death from this illness. They cannot breath.

I'll be the first to say that I HATE the commercial with the mom holding her baby and trying to guilt you into vaccinating yourself, for your child's sake, but this is because I don't do guilt trips. I also don't do booster shots or flu shots. For myself that is. My son gets his vaccines because I don't want to worry that someday it MIGHT happen, because today is the day that might turns bad for so many families. And for people who think this is out of place in May, because, Hello, summer is almost here, my sister was diagnosed with pertussis yesterday. My son and I spent 3 days with her right before she became ill. Guess who had his shots and is at a much lowered risk for becoming ill? Thats right, my kid. When this baby is born you had better believe he will be getting the whooping cough vaccine just as soon as he can. Again, you make your choices for your child and I will make my choices for mine, we do not have to agree on them and while I may disagree with you I will not judge you for making your choice. But the reasoning I give behind my choice is not that I choose to have a mostly dead virus injected into my child. I choose to not have to bury my child. If this sounds harsh i'm sorry, this is trully how I feel. Have you ever read the book "Fever: 1793" it breaks your heart, and this is what stays in my mind when I consider what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment